Wine. Girl talk. Drinking games… Why not?
Sometimes you just want to drink and chill with friends. And if your friends are also rabid romance readers, the conversation is bound to devolve into giggling and book talk. So we decided to just cut right to the fun.
Join Sheryl and I as we match our favorite tropes and book characters to alcoholic beverages! Listen in to see if we got ’em right!
Books we chat about in this episode
Some of these are related to a drink pairing, and some are just because we can’t help ourselves. =)
- Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon
- Exiled to the Prison Planet series (Dragons in Exile) by Lee Savino & Lili Zander
- Royally Screwed by Emma Chase
- The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward
- The Delta Force Heroes series by Susan Stoker
- Five Minutes Longer by Victoria Sue
- Ashwin by Kit Rocha (& the Beyond series)
- Shatter by Joan Swan
- Asking For It by Lilah Pace
- Five Dares by Eli Easton
- Sumage Solution by G.L. Carriger
- Priest: A Love Story by Sierra Simone
- Halfway To The Grave by Jeaniene Frost
- Thomas’s Choice by Tina Folson
- Boy by Eden Bradley
- Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley
- Hot Ticket by Olivia Cunning
- The Grey Wolves series by Quinn Loftis
Fun quotes from this podcast
These should give you a glimpse of the level of ridiculous that happens when we drink together. Or really, just whenever Sheryl stops censoring herself. Hah!
“I hate zombies! You suck!”
~ Sue on being tasked with pairing a best-friend’s-brother zombie themed book
“To be very honest, if it’s an alien captive situation, they’re gonna have their own liquor, and I’m gonna want to try it.”
~Sheryl on pairing arranged marriage + SciFi alien-human matchup.
“Teachers I know get high, because, kids.”
~ Sue on pairing a drink with teachers
“You can do open heart surgery on yourself, then recover in your four-day book coma.”
“Imagine being pregnant for two years.”
~ Sheryl on Ruby Dixon’s “not Hoth” Ice Planet Barbarians story universe.
“No, just no!”
~ Sue. Because, duh. That sounds AWFUL.
She makes a really good book. The parasite ingested in your body sings to your mate until you’re impregnated.
If you’re a single woman, and a guy just comes into your room to have sex with you and leave—and not take your stuff—I’m okay with that!
Shout-outs & fun notes
- Larissa Ione can party like nobody’s business! (says Sheryl)
- Clearly, neither Sheryl nor I is an expert about drinking in the Regency period
- A drink to pair with non-con + celebrity? Oh boy, this can’t go well…
- Sue shares her “first time”—getting drunk, that is—and why tequila is truly the devil.
- Pop quiz: What character type did Sheryl choose “Liquid Cocaine” for and Sue “Sex With An Alligator”?
- Sue learns how to pronounce “lagavulin”. Sheryl doesn’t care.
- We fight about Night Huntress and my so-called “obsession” with Bones. Whatevs. Someone CLEARLY hasn’t read the series. #BonesIsMine
- Sue realizes just how often she says “I feel like…” (must expand vocabulary!)
Meet my guest!
Join the discussion
Did we talk about any books or tropes you like? Did we get some details wrong in our tipsy banter? Did you think some of our pairings were spot on? Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts!